Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8514

• james.pearce.bath.ac.uk
  • james.pearce.bath.ac.uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

The RSS Download feed page is not working on our Live xerte instance. It works when adding a feed url which is ecternal from our site, we have tested with "xot.futureteacher.eu/rss.php?username=Future_Teacher_3.0&folder_name=Future_Teacher_Talks_UK" and the page returns content for that feed.

When we setup a feed from our server and add that in a RSS download page the page returns a 500 server error. I have traced the issue I think to the Snoopy.class and the call to "stream_socket_client" which is returning nothing in the _connect method.

I assume there is a misconfiguration on our server. We are currently running Xerte 3.11 on ubuntu 18.04 with php 7.4.33. I have recently updated php to 7.4.33 as we were using php 7.2 and I thought tthat might be causing the issue with "stream_socket_client". I have also enabled the proxy apache modules as these were enabled on our staging server where the RSS download feed page is working. Could you give me any advice on things I can investigate to get a solution to this issue.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8516

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi James
if you've upgraded PHP have you checked that all the required PHP extensions are enabled? e.g. see the list on our system requirements page xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=81#systemrequirements

I just checked the Future Teacher feed you mentioned and curiously I have a project in the same installation where Yvonne must have asked about this previously because I have your feed in one of the test pages and that shows a feed via the direct link but not inside the Xerte RSS download feed page.
I tested the Future Teacher folder feed and sitewide feed in the same test LO and they both work as does a sitewide feed from another external installation. So I'm not sure what to suggest as a next step but firstly check the PHP extensions and report back. I doubt it's that but it's quite often the case when PHP has been upgraded that required extensions are missing. Worth checking the default values as well if you haven't already e.g. we often have people reporting that uploads are no longer working and it turns out the limit has reverted to 2MB etc.

Anyway check that and report back and I'm sure Tom will have extra comments but I know he's busy today so unlikely to reply today.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8517

Hi Ron,

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes Yvonne was having an issue before Christmas. We upgraded Xerte to resolve the issue and the RSS download page is working on our staging site just not on our Live environment. I've check the things you said.

File uploads set to 50mb
Php extensions as follows
* zlib version 1.2.11
* SimpleXML enabled
* XML libxml version 2.9.14
* GD library version 2.2.5
* JSON enabled
* Zip version 1.15.6
* mbstring enabled
* CURL version 7.58.0
* LDAP - OpenLDAP version 20445

Hopefully Tom might be able to suggest something to look into.

Thanks

James

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8518

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Hi James,

Any PHP errors in the apache2 error log? If not, set $development to tru (on line 43 in config.php and try again, and check the apache error logs again.

If there is no other indication than an issue ath stream_socket_client than perhaps you can send me the error stack/erro message by PM?

The issue with stream_socket_client does not ring a bell.

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8520

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your suggestions. Looking at the logs there are some error messages that might indicate the server certificate may be the issue. I had check all of the certificates but I will get someone from our server team to check the certificates are valid and in the correct locations for the stream socket SSL connection to work.

I'll post back on here if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Thanks

James

RSS download not working - stream_socket_client not returning anything in Snoopy 1 year 1 month ago #8521

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi James
please post back to confirm if that does resolve the issue too. It might help others troubleshooting similar issues.
Regards
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: JohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search