Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Example and tips to unlocking a (museum)collection 1 week 3 days ago #9012

• rloenen
  • rloenen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I will return to an earlier question, but now formulated differently and in more detail.
I work as a volunteer in an open-air museum where I have built a website to share information about the buildings with fellow tour guides. This website is built in PHP with some CSS, but too difficult for others to easily maintain or adjust. The museum wants to make the collection more accessible digitally, based on the existing form, but easy to maintain. I know that this is possible in Xerte and I am therefore looking for examples of how to make such a collection accessible.
The current website is divided into parts of the museum, but quite linear. Excursions must be made from the various buildings to more information, but also with pop-ups that briefly discuss a subject and that can return to different buildings. Adjustments to that subject only need to be made once. I have almost solved creating popups.
Now I am looking for examples with Xerte where collections are accessible and information can be accessed in a broad and less linear way.
Can anyone help me with examples or where I could find them, but also with practical tips on how to do this properly. I know Xerte quite well, but from creating educational learning objects.
Part of the current website that I created and that is now being used is the following, in Dutch:

vo-leshulp.nl/0-nom-geen-ww/0-nom/0.00_nom_startmenu.php

Ronald van Loenen, Arnhem, The Netherlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rloenen.

Example and tips to unlocking a (museum)collection 1 week 2 days ago #9015

• Jonathan Smith
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Ronald

I had a look at your existing website vo-leshulp.nl/0-nom-geen-ww/0-nom/0.00_nom_startmenu.php I don't speak Dutch, but I used the auto-translate in Google to see an English version, and this was clear enough. Here are a few observations.

It's a big site with lots of content. It can certainly be recreated with Xerte, but I tend to agree with what Fay wrote in a different thread about trying to keep individual projects as small as possible,

At the moment I can see 4 levels in the site structure, from Hoofdmenu (main menu) down to the lowest page level (e.g. 2.01 Stolpboerderij Zuid-Scharwoude). I would suggest that you use a Bootstrap for the top 3 levels, then create XOTs for each of the buildings and embed these at the right locations in the Bootstrap. With the Bootstrap you can have a page for each of the 6 items in the main menu (Locaties per gebied, Extra informatie over de locaties, Compendium 1.0, A01..enz, Oude gidsen, Artikelen rond museum, Readers). You can then create sections within each page for the 3rd level ( e.g.for the Locaties per Gebied page you have 7 sections; Erven, Dorp, Platteland, Tuin, Lint, Landgoed, Bosrand). You then embed your XOTs for individual buildings in the appropriate sections. Another options might be to have all your buildings in one XOT, and then you can embed specific pages from that XOT in different places in the Bootstrap. One nice thing you could do is to use the Hotspot Image Connector to take users to different buildings when they click on buildings shown on the map of the museum site.

In 2 Locaties Dorp you have links to 31 buildings. That's a very long list to scroll down, and as Fay suggests that might be off-putting. Is there any way you can re-organise your content to that there are no more than about 10 items in each menu? Is there some way of classifying those 31 buildings into 3 or 4 groups?

If you'd like to set up a brief online meeting with me, for me to explain in more detail and demonstrate what is possible, we can do that... but I'm afraid it would have to be in English! You can email me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Best wishes

Jonathan Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: rloenen

Example and tips to unlocking a (museum)collection 1 week 1 day ago #9016

• rloenen
  • rloenen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Jonathan

Thank you for your thoughts.
In the past I had a simpler description of the locations already in Xerte using Hotspots, especially to the different areas in the museum. I once also made maps per area, so I could use them again with Hotspots. The site as it is now is mainly used by tour guides on their mobile phones and I have to see how the hotpots on maps go. I'll try something first and then I'll definitely contact you.

Gr.
Ronald van Loenen

Example and tips to unlocking a (museum)collection 1 week 1 day ago #9017

• ingdon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Hi, my name is Inge. I'm an e-learning advisor.
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Ronald,

I think the 360 media page is also one you could try out. You can create a panorama image with your mobile phone or use a 360 camera. It is also possible to add hotspots on the 360 image.

Bye,
Inge
DLearning
I.Donkervoort
www.dlearning.nl

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search