Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Multiple Choice Quiz 1 year 7 months ago #8334

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte community,

Please can you help with this problem I am encountering.

In a Xerte I have a multiple choice quiz. There are two correct answer options and I have customised the MCQ so that if the end-user does not select the correct two answer options, then the 'Next' button is not active and the end-user cannot move forward to the next page in the Xerte until the correct two answer options have been selected.
Therefore the end-user can 'Retry' for a second, third or more attempts.
When playing the Xerte in the Xerte edit workspace I can retry.
But when the Xerte is played in the VLE as an end-user would do, I am not able to retry because the options are greyed out and they are not active to me. Also because I cannot select the two correct options, then I can not move to the next page in the Xerte as the NEXT forward arrow is not active (as I have set it up to perform like that, not move forward until correct answers are selected).

To customise the MCQ, I used the following code:
// JavaScript / jQuery
$("#checkBtn").click(function(){
if($('p').text().indexOf('Click next to continue.') != -1){
$("#x_nextBtn").button("enable");
}
});

This code has previously been provided to me by Xerte.

The settings in the MCQ.
Execute: First time page is viewed

Should that option change to Every time page is viewed?
Will that make a difference?

Save session button option is selected.

Partial work-around.
When I as an end-user am stuck on that MCQ page because I have not selected the two correct answers, and I can not retry, as the quiz answer options are not active thus available, and I can not move to the next page as Forward next arrow is not active, if I select the Save session button and close the Xerte, when I then re-open the Xerte I enter the Xerte on that MCQ page where I can then attempt that MCQ quiz again and if I get it correct I can move forward to the next page to complete the Xerte and the Results page is showing 100% completion.
So is a work-around for this problem encountered to provide instruction text to the end-user that if they do not answer the MCQ correct first time, select the save session button, close the window then re-open to continue the Xerte.

Please can you let me know fairly quickly if possible.
Many thanks in advance for your help, advice, solution, support.
Anne
Attachments:

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Multiple Choice Quiz 1 year 7 months ago #8335

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi Anne
as you know you've contacted me directly about this so I'm just replying here to save another member of the team interpreting and responding as we have been discussing via direct email instead.
Regards
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Multiple Choice Quiz 1 year 4 weeks ago #8538

• Ra
Hello :)

I'm having a similar problem at the moment.
When I test my Quiz in the Editor, everything works fine, but as soon as I export it, the problem happens.

In the exported project, as soon as I leave the page and then come back to it (regardless of how - through page glossary or "back"-button) I cannot retake the quiz. The answers are still interactables, as the cursor changes, when hovering over them, but not selectable. The "check"-button doesn't work then either.

It is supposed to be retakable multiple times, so this is somewhat of a problem.

I would really appreciate some help! :)

Thank you and regards
J.

Multiple Choice Quiz 1 year 4 weeks ago #8539

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
What kind of exported project is this and how do you use it? If this is a scorm package there are some things you need to be aware of:

1. If you revisit a quiz during a sesson, this is by design. You can only answer a quiz one time if scorm is enabled. If that is undesirable, do not use a SCORM package, but place a link directly to Xerte play.php or use LTI. It requires some redesign to give you the option to do that in a SCORM pacakge and we might consider that for a future version of Xerte.
2. If you cannot redo the SCORM pacakge (do a second attempt), that is because of settings in your LMS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ra

Multiple Choice Quiz 1 year 3 weeks ago #8541

• Ra
Hi again and thank you for your answer!
The problem is when revisiting a quiz during a session using a SCORM package.
Due to the way this is supposed to be deployed, I can't post a link to the .php, sadly.
How much work would it need, to make that functionality possible in a SCORM package?
Would that be somehow doable for a noob or is it going to be a lot of work?

Thanks again!!

Multiple Choice Quiz 11 months 5 days ago #8577

• ArneDuyver
Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to Xerte but think it's a wonderfull program. I found out that by just commenting out line 274 in the following file (modules/xerte/parent_templates/Nottingham/models_html5/mcq.html) it becomes possible to enter as much guesses for the multiple choice questions as you want. I don't know how it will affect the grading for that question, but it seems to take the last value.
Hope this helps

Kind regards
AD
Attachments:

Last edit: by ArneDuyver.
  • Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search