Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8768

• andymconnor
  • andymconnor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm evaluating Xerte for a specific purpose, and to be honest what is a rather odd/unique use case.

We use TalentLMS and I am looking to use single learning objects as single pages in a course that also includes pages written in Talent LMS native authoring. What we are aiming for is to really just have some interaction with the user, not really worrying about tracking and completion on these pages.

I've put together a custom them that let's me export a SCORM package from Xerte that seamless looks like our native content when embedded as a page in the LMS. The footer is turned off, as I am using the navigation within the LMS rather than embedding it in the learning object.

Unfortunately, the LMS doesn't recognise that the learning object has been completed and it prevents you moving on.

My test project is just a set of four flipcards. At the project level, I've tried setting tracking to "No tracking" as well as using timing for completion. I've tried setting the minimum pass mark to 0%, and pretty much all the combinations and permutations that I can see. I've also tried setting "completion not required" for the page, but to no avail.

TalentLMS have this to say on the matter either that the completion rules are not properly set during production or that the content might be designed to be executed inside a pop-up window and send the data after the window closes. I can't post a link to their KB article.

Even if I use a pop-up window, I still don't get any completion possibility.

I know this is probably not the way that anyone expected Xerte to be used! But I feel like I am missing something here, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Deployment package attached.
Attachments:

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by andymconnor.

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8769

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Embedding of tracked content that needs completion is always tricky. There needs to be some mechanism to indicate the intreaction with the content is finished.

For multipage content, Xerte has the Stop Tracking Page, and the Save Session button in the footer. Another way would be to open the content in a new tab/new window (not a popup window in the form of a lightbox), because then the unload event is triggered as the content ic closed.

Sometimes that is not necessary, if the content is an interaction that requires a Submit button

None of these are valid in your case, so I have no solution for you for completion of this kind of SCORM content.

However, as tarcking is not important to you, couldn't you just forego with SCORM and embed the content directly using a play.php link? The Xerte object needs to be public in that case (or have Access Other, where you can specify the URL of TalentLMS, and the content is only accessible from TalenLMS (Xerte checks whther the referrer is set to the LMS)
The following user(s) said Thank You: andymconnor

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8770

• andymconnor
Thanks, Tom.

I have so many constraints on linking content and making anything potentially available publicly that I am probably not going to make many options work.

Interestingly, I am getting the same behaviour with TalentLMS even when there is a pop-up, multi-page course with content that is more easily tracked. I suspect something going on with the LMS. I had hoped the "No Tracking" mode would have worked on TalentLMS.

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8771

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Sorry, I cannot help you there. I do not know TalentLMS (except by name).

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8772

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi
you've attached a deployment export. Deployment exports are meant for use on any web server where you can upload and extract the zip and most LMS certainly used to have a way of uploading, extracting and linking to a package like that e.g. not SCORM just a collection of files and sub folders where you upload, extract and link to the index.htm file. If Talent LMS provides anything like that then perhaps you can try that?
Alternatively if the Xerte SCORM export is uploading and playing but just not completing is there an option in Talent LMS (sometimes under advanced options) to disable completion requirement or not require completion? Sounds like you've probably already checked that but an option like that in the LMS is different from the Xerte option of setting individual pages not to require completion - the latter is just to exclude individual pages.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: andymconnor

SCORM not completing 5 months 2 weeks ago #8773

• andymconnor
Thanks, Ron.

There seems to be something going on with the timing of completion - totally me trying to use Xerte in a way that it isn't intended to be used!

I am guessing that in a multipage course, when you add that "Stop Tracking" page that it sends the completion data to the LMS. Any individual LO probably doesn't? That would explain some of the behaviour that we are getting, for example a page completion only becomes active when the page is closed.

Hypothetically speaking, how difficult would it be to add custom property or other feature that automatically sends the completion data to the LMS? Is there a description of the code base anywhere that would point me at how the code is structured and where to start looking?

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search