TOPIC:

Accessibility with Thumbnail Viewer page type 4 years 7 months ago #5839

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte community,
First of all, I love your new look website, very nice.
Accessibility question - regarding the Thumbnail Viewer I have read on the googledoc on the Accessibility page of this website that the Thumbnail Viewer does not have a score at all for 'Screenreaders' but that Keyboard navigation scores 3 (hgih) and the comment "Content changing on screen may make it difficult for screenreader users to navigate". So, we can deal with 'not so good on mobile devices' as we tell users to use a larger device. But with content using the Thumbnail viewer which has the text overlay, will a screen-reader not read the text overlay? Also, when I tabbed across the tab and enter key works fine but text overlay does not show in Chrome when hovering mouse over image, but text overlay shows when using Edge and Firefox, but for a keyboard user, how does that text display as the tab shows the image but not the text overlay, because text overlay only shows when hovering a mouse over the image.
Can the screenreader read the text overlay?
Should I stop users using this page type?
Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Accessibility with Thumbnail Viewer page type 4 years 7 months ago #5843

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Anne

The thumbnail viewer will have been tested on screen readers. I think the issue will be that when you select a thumbnail the main content on the page changes but this change isn't necessarily immediately apparent to screen reader users (not being able to see the section of the page that has changed). They will then have to tab to find the new info (they will be able to access the rollover text with the screenreader).

With keyboard only the text should display when tabbing to the image - it shouldn't require you to hover using the mouse.

I don't think it's the case that you should necessarily tell people not to use the page but as with any accessibility issues project authors need to balance the needs of their users. Is this page ideal for people with visual impairment? Not really as its main focus is images - but that doesn't mean that other users wouldn't benefit from this type of content.

Incidentally - we've decided to temporarily hide some of the accessibility content from that google sheet - I think you're right that not all of it is particularly up to date so it needs to be reviewed.

Hope this helps!
Fay

Accessibility with Thumbnail Viewer page type 4 years 7 months ago #5844

• annem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Fay,
Thank you for your help with this and I agree with you.
Anne

Accessibility with Thumbnail Viewer page type 4 years 7 months ago #5856

• annem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Xerte Community,
A quick reply to mention that when I tested using the following set-up my findings were as follows:

Access to Xerte: Keyboard only using Tab, Spacebar and Enter key
Public Xerte: URL link direct into browser - result is that Chrome browser shows text overlay when using keyboard. but other browsers (FireFox and Edge) do not display text overlay when using keyboard.
Private Xerte export SCORM zip file and uploaded to VLE - result is that text overlay does not display when using Chrome, FireFox or Edge browsers.
URL link in a VLE - result is that text overlay does not display using Chrome and Edge browser, but text overlay does display (but a bit random) using FireFox browser.
Hoping these results will help and wondering if others have tested Thumbnail Viewer with keyboard and whether you get the same results?
Anne

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search