Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.

TOPIC:

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6530

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
On the advice provided by Ron in his reply to my original message post on this sujbect, I have given our Xerte authors (our lecturing staff) advice. And I have told the authors to provide instructions to the users (students in our case) on how to re-access the Xerte Learning Object after the user has clicked on the PDF link (Xerte is still open but not necessarily visible on the screen when using Chrome browser for example) so students will need to hover their mouse over the Chrome browser icon on the taskbar to then see the window for Xerte LO (which is still open).

However, I do think that the PDF link is going to trip quite a few of our users (students) up, even with instructions from their lecturers, and the danger is that students will not return to the Xerte (which is still open but not displaying on the screen in a window in front of them). With Edge browser, the Xerte window screen does still display after the student has clicked on the PDF link (the two windows are there, the Xerte behind and to the left of the open PDF screen) and in FireFox browser, a new tab opens on the screen, so users will need to click back on the Xerte tab.

But I don't think users (students) will return to the Xerte.

So, I'm not convinced about the PDF link I'm afraid and I do worry about it.

Best wishes
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6531

• ForteanOrg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just tried the demo page and it also only shows a box and a link.

In my particular situation I don't mind much, as I was able to work around the issue by employing ViewerJS. I'm running FF on Linux and after some tweaking ViewerJS works just fine there. To get the full-screen facilities up and running you'll need to tweak some settings. I will post them later on.

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6532

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
So you don't see the embedded pdf via xot.xerte.org.uk/xapi_launch.php?templat...ert.org.uk#resume=18 on any browser? If that's the case it's clearly not a server or installation issue. What device and OS are you using? Do you have another device you can test with and if so is that the same?

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6533

• ForteanOrg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, Ron,

My trusty old CentOS 7 Linux box, running FF 75.0 (which is the latest and greatest stable version). The link you provided does not render anything here, but it looks as if the link is incomplete / incorrect, so I'm not amazed by that at all.

ETA: it just dawned upon me that you might think that the link does not work here - it does. If I click the link, the PDF will download and is shown in my local PDF viewer. But that's not what I believe the PDF viewer should do; I had hoped to get something like ViewerJS. When I click the link you provided (the first time) I get the following screen:

.. But what I would have expected would be more something like this:

Attachments:

Last edit: by ForteanOrg. Reason: Clarification / adding screenshots

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6534

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
This is what it does in Chrome on Windows 7:

Attachments:

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 10 months ago #6535

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Not sure what happened with that last link I posted but in the reply before that I shared 3 links and notes how to get to our page types demonstrator and then to the pdf page. The pdf does display as embedded in all the browsers I mentioned on Windows. On iPhone and iPad the first page of the pdf displays too but can’t really be scrolled to later pages so the link has been added to open the pdf on those devices or indeed any device/browser where the embedded version doesn’t display. Last time I checked the pdf displayed embedded on MacOS too but I haven’t tested that recently and again it might depend on browser and settings. There must be something different about the Firefox or some other compatibility on CentOS compared with Windows. Are your target audience using CentOS too? Perhaps there is a preference or setting that resolves the issue?
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search