Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Offline Xerte standalone from USB stick and linking to a Word document? 3 years 8 months ago #6818

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
Hoping you can help?

Xerte running standalone from a USB stick. I am aware that we can embed content like a Word document into a standalone module. The way I know is that the file, eg Word document needs to be added to the media at project level (via the ‘I’ icon) using Media and quota. Browse for the file to get the link path, and edit the path so that the link prefix starts ‘USER-FILES’ (link type will change to OTHER), and add that as a link in your page.

Change the Protocol link. For example a Word document uploaded to the Media upload area will need to use the <Other> option from the Protocol drop-down list, and URL prefix is USER as shown above.

When I play the offline xerte from the USB stick, when I click on the link to open the Word document, I get an error message, as if it is not there. The message says
'Cannot reach word document'. But when I check in media of the exported xerte, I see the word document in media area.

What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards
Anne
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Offline Xerte standalone from USB stick and linking to a Word document? 3 years 7 months ago #6819

• JohnSmith
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Anne,

If you right-click the link and copy the URL/target and post it here (feel free to redact any words with X for privacy if required but leave the / structure intact) then we can perhaps trace what the system is doing with those links...

Regards,

John

Offline Xerte standalone from USB stick and linking to a Word document? 3 years 7 months ago #6820

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi Anne
if your are using a document uploaded to the project rather than an external link then you should just be browsing to the file and letting Xerte determine the protocol. When you then export the Xerte code should automatically reformat the link but I think you are breaking that by manually choosing other.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Offline Xerte standalone from USB stick and linking to a Word document? 3 years 7 months ago #6821

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Ron,
Thank you for your quick answer which makes sense.

Best wishes
Anne

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search