Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 3 years 4 months ago #6993

• ymoore
  • ymoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi

We're currently preparing to update Xerte and we've been trying to get the LTI integration working with Moodle. We can now successfully embed a Xerte object in Moodle using LTI, however nothing is reported to the Moodle gradebook. So my question is, what, if anything, should be getting reported in the gradebook? And are there specific things I need to include in the object for it to report to the gradebook?

I'm currently testing with a Xerte object which has a quiz with 2 questions. I've also added a 'stop tracking' page but not sure that makes any difference. If there's a guide somewhere I could work through that would be really helpful. (I've searched ...)

Thanks
Yvonne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 3 years 4 months ago #6994

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi
You should get a score in the gradebook.
Has this worked with your combination of Moodle and Xerte previously or is this the first time you are trying it?
As a general rule now, whether for SCORM or LTI/xAPI, you should include a stop tracking page at the end of your LOs.
Also to eliminate variability test with a definite student account rather than just changing role to student.
Test with a couple of different browsers e.g. Chrome + Edge or Chrome + Firefox.
Under the privacy section in Moodle for your LTI resources there's an option labelled 'Accept grades from the tool' is that checked?
Test and respond to the questions above and if appropriate there's a web server configuration change that we might suggest that you would need to get your server admin to implement. But please test and confirm as above first.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Last edit: by ronm.

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 3 years 4 months ago #6995

• ymoore
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Ron
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Has this worked with your combination of Moodle and Xerte previously or is this the first time you are trying it? - First time trying it out.
As a general rule now, whether for SCORM or LTI/xAPI, you should include a stop tracking page at the end of your LOs. Have included this.
Also to eliminate variability test with a definite student account rather than just changing role to student. Tried it with a test student (not just a change in role).
Test with a couple of different browsers e.g. Chrome + Edge or Chrome + Firefox. Tried Chrome, FF, Edge and Safari.
Under the privacy section in Moodle for your LTI resources there's an option labelled 'Accept grades from the tool' is that checked? Yes, this is selected.

Thanks
Yvonne

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 3 years 4 months ago #6996

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Yvonne
ok thanks for confirming those details.
When you access the LTI resource from Moodle and press F12 to bring up the developer console do you see any errors and if so what?

You could refer the following to your server admin:
Via a .htaccess file add the following:
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^(.+)
RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

Or via Apace config:
SetEnvIf Authorization "(.*)" HTTP_AUTHORIZATION=$1

Then restart Apache.

Example discussion about this here: stackoverflow.com/questions/26475885/aut...-in-php-post-request

Once the above is in place test the LTI resource again and confirm whether that worked or not?

HTH
Ron

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 2 years 7 months ago #7618

• ymoore
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Ron

Apologies for the delay in responding - Moodle 3.9 upgrade overtook our priorities! We're still struggling with this. Our developers have followed the previous advice but we're still having no luck. However, we also have an issue with Maraha LTI not reporting back to Moodle gradebook either so we're assuming this is a Moodle issue rather than a Xerte one.

If anyone has any other LTI thoughts we would appreciate some steer!

Cheers
Yvonne

LTI - what should it report to the LMS? 2 years 7 months ago #7619

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Yvonne
when you refer to your "developers" is this someone external to your university and are they specifically Moodle or Xerte developers?
You should be able to get this working but it is quite complex to troubleshoot because there are lots of different factors and configurations at play. We have worked through similar issues with a number of different organisations but these are all organisations that we work directly with e.g. paid support. I should add that we have spent a lot of time recently updating and testing LTI 1.3 compatibility all of which is now in Xerte 3.10.4. Note: LTI 1.3 also requires upgrading the Tsugi code too.
LTI 1.3 configured as a global provider makes it far easier for end users to add their LTI resources to Moodle because they don't need to worry about keys and secrets etc. So as well as for all the other new features I would suggest upgrading to Xerte 3.10.4 and then re-visit the LTI functionality.
HTH
Ron

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search