Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8226

• sarix
  • sarix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a 333MG video that I want to add MCQ and text. The interactive video page seems to be ideal. But my video is too big. I have uploaded it to YouTube, wondering if I could embed this and the specific MCQ and text. I doubt I will be able to compress the 333MB to 2MB.

Your help is most appreciated, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8227

• JohnSmith
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Sarix,

Not sure what version of Xerte you are using and whether you need the latest version (changes have been made recently across all the pages using video) but the latest version at least will accept a Youtube or Vimeo URL in the "File" box since it uses Popcorn as the video engine:

My advice would be to pull down the latest version of Xerte and upgrade so that you get all the benefits of the recent improvements.

Regards,

John
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sarix

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8228

• sarix
  • sarix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi John thank you I just did that but an error appears. I am using version 3.10 (git v3.10.5)
Attachments:

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8229

• JohnSmith
Strange... v3.10 was released back in July 2021 and I just took the development branch back to then and my test LO loaded fine.

What Youtube URL are you using? I'm using the one straight out of the address bar - any of the Youtube URLs (including the embed code) should work in v3.11 now as well as most valid Vimeo urls but in v3.10 it was a lot more restrictive. I just tried both the <iframe> embed code and the Share URL (youtu.be) and neither worked in v3.10...

John

Last edit: by JohnSmith.

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8230

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
let's eliminate a few variables here...
I've just tested with a 3.10.5 install using the Interactivity > Interactive Video page and the direct url and the url stripped out of the embed code both work fine, but pasting the whole embed code doesn't. So try the following:
Test 1: add this url to the File field of your page www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUF2E6dyRM does that work? If that doesn't work then what errors do you get in the browser console F12?
If that does work check that the url you are using follows the same format and that the video is public on YouTube.
Test 2: Add www.youtube.com/embed/hKUF2E6dyRM to the file field of your page does that work? That is the embed url stripped from the full embed code and should work. Again if that doesn't work what errors do you get in the browser console?

As John says 3.11 supports a wider range of permutations (largely thanks to John's hard work!) but the url formats listed above do work even in 3.10.5 so there may be a server rather than Xerte issue that you need to refer to your IT team?

BTW you mentioned 2MB in your original post which I'm guessing means that your install is currently limited to 2MB uploads which is historically a default PHP limit. You are likely to hit other issues with that limit being so low (like importing exported projects) so might want to ask for that to be increased to around say 100MB. That said it shouldn't be increased to 333MB because even if you could upload a video of that size it wouldn't be a reliable experience for your learners because there would be no streaming involved. So using YouTube or Vimeo is the right way to go and should work just fine even in 3.10.5. Let us know how those tests go?

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Interactive video: how can I use a YouTube video instead of uploading from file? 1 year 8 months ago #8231

• JohnSmith
Cheers Ron

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search