Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

v3: edit project gif permissions 8 years 8 months ago #3061

• jayaich
  • jayaich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi,

If I use the management interface to list user projects, and then show and try to edit a project I get a broken image icon, the text 'optional parameters' and the Xerte logo displayed. Nothing else.

It seems the problem is the 'editor/img/loading16.gif' file (this is the broken image). It has (under Linux) permissions 644 (basically read-only). If I change the permissions to 755 (so basically read and execute), then the image works fine and the whole editing project interface appears.

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

v3: edit project gif permissions 8 years 8 months ago #3063

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 310
That's weird. Even 644 should be enough.

As a test I changed the permissinn on my SuSE installation to 444 and it still works for me.

v3: edit project gif permissions 8 years 8 months ago #3064

• jayaich
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi,

Thanks for that - it's sometimes difficult to tell if something is a local problem or a general one.

I tried accessing the management page from my Laptop (yesterday was from my PC) and got the same problem (broken image etc). So the permissions was not the problem. I have set the permissions back to 644.

I had set in Apache that the '/editor' directory must only be accessed by Shibboleth authenticated users. I disabled this, and the image worked fine (which is strange). I also got the 'edit' page showing correctly (local logo etc) but no details about the project.

So it seems to be more a web server problem than anything. I'll take a further look at the Apache config later on, as well as at 'edithtml.php' to try and see why no project details are appearing.

John.

v3: edit project gif permissions 8 years 8 months ago #3069

• jayaich
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Problem solved. I had not realised that some of the code used in the management interface was the same as that used by users. The 'editor' part was protected by Shibboleth, so users could use itto change projects, but the management interface could not see it. I have now changed Apache to allow either shib users or management users to access it.
I have also allowed all users access to image/img directories. That explains the broken link. Not too sure why it didn't work on the laptop and then did. Perhaps after it failed I tried accessing it as an ordinary user, the browser cached the image, so when I retried the management interface again it then worked. (maybe?)

John.

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search