Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Collaborating in a Xerte with OneDrive 3 years 11 months ago #6552

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I have previously successfully produced some Xerte LO's which enable collaboration with documents in OneDrive.

In OneDrive I create for example a Word document and I copy the 'Share' link code (which is editable as box ticked to edit). i open Xerte and create a new Xerte Online Toolkits LO and select 'Text > Plain Text' page type. i type text which will be the hyperlink text to the Word document in OneDrive. I highlight the text (to be the link) and then expand the toolbar and select the 'Link' tool on the toolbar and paste the shared code I had copied from the Word document OneDrive, in to the link URL area.

To show this document in Xerte as a document in ‘real-time’ showing changes made to it when opened and edited on the previous page, you need to use the embed code from OneDrive.I play the page to preview and when I click on the link, the Word document in OneDrive opens. I then whilst in the Word document in OneDrive, copy the 'Embed' code, (Embed option is found in Settings drop-down option 'Embed' to the right of the 'More' option top right of the screen}.

I close the Word document (which is in OneDrive). I am still in my Xerte LO and I add a page type: Navigators > Embed content. I paste the embed code in to that page. I save and play.

The result is a page with a link to a Word document in OneDrive which I can edit and it automatically saves as it is in the Browser, and then I close the Word document, and with Xerte still open I click on Next to go to my next page which displays the Word document on the screen with my changes, and also provides a download link.

This has been really good. But a colleague has just tried this and run in to problems. So I tried a new Xerte with a PowerPoint in Onedrive and followed the steps as above Firstly, when I click on the link I am asked to log in, and secondly, I could not find the embed code in OneDrive in the PowerPoint document.
Is it because I am using PowerPoint? I previously acheived this useful interactive collaboration with Word and Excel files from OneDrive.
Or does anyone know if the 'Embed' code has been removed. Also, do you think the reason I have to log in when I click on the link is because of a setting which may have been changed?

I would be interested to find out if any of you can achieve what i have previously been able to achieve.
I would also be grateful for any advice and knowledge regarding possible changes with OneDrive or advice on how I get this working again.

Actually, I think I have found the reason why, because the 'link' option is not not available to all users, and because the share option is now found on the File menu > Share > Embed code.
But your comments are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Anne
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Collaborating in a Xerte with OneDrive 3 years 11 months ago #6553

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Anne

I worked with some colleagues a while ago on how best to embed PowerPoints from OneDrive in to Moodle. The problem they had was that the embed code they could get from OneDrive always (regardless of what settings they used) always prompted for users to login to view the PowerPoint. We found that if they set the PowerPoint to be available to view by anyone with a link & then edited the embed code a bit then it worked as they wanted. As I said this was for them to embed in Moodle not Xerte but it should still work. There are some instructions here (www.nottingham.ac.uk/toolkits/play_22144) & a little tool that automatically sorts the format of the embed code. This may not be the way you want to go with things (if Microsoft decide to stop this format of embed code working in this way without login then it will stop working) but it's how we're doing it.

Hope this helps
Fay

Collaborating in a Xerte with OneDrive 3 years 11 months ago #6560

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Faye,
Good to hear from you.
Thank you, it is good to know that with a work-around, this can work. The 'Anyone with the link' in link settings is not available (not active) for me, so I am limited.
But it's good to know that there is a way round this if 'Anyone with the link' is available.
Best wishes. Anne

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search