Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LTI and questions relating to LTI 3 years 1 month ago #7243

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte Community,

LTI is good. I have some questions regarding using LTI.

1. When using LTI, what happens to the Xerte learning object on the VLE when a Xerte version upgrade installation happens?
2. Is the resource available to end-users when an upgrade is taking place?
3. Is the Xerte still available 'real-time' when the upgrade takes place?
4. If Xerte learning objects have customised code will the version upgrade installation instantly affect the live Xerte?
5. If there is an issue with the server where the LTI links to does the LTI link in the VLE become a dead link?
6. Is there a way of knowing the author of the Xerte when using LTI? So I see an ID number but that doesn't give me the author name. In administration we have name not ID number for searching.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on LTI.
Best wishes
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LTI and questions relating to LTI 3 years 1 month ago #7248

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Anne
responses to your questions below:

1. When using LTI, what happens to the Xerte learning object on the VLE when a Xerte version upgrade installation happens?
Nothing that would mean it no longer works. There might be improvements but we always look to ensure backwards compatibility. Indeed there's far more risk to exported objects stopping working that linked objects not working because issues with linked objects can be fixed in one place.
2. Is the resource available to end-users when an upgrade is taking place?
That depends on the nature of the upgrade but if only a Xerte upgrade then there is unlikely to be any disruption or if so minimal.
3. Is the Xerte still available 'real-time' when the upgrade takes place?
Same answer as 2.
4. If Xerte learning objects have customised code will the version upgrade installation instantly affect the live Xerte?
This doesn't really have anything to do with LTI. It depends on what customised code has been used but again there's more risk with exported objects than linked objects.
5. If there is an issue with the server where the LTI links to does the LTI link in the VLE become a dead link?
It depends on the issue with the server but yes if the Xerte server is down for some reason then just like any website the links will not work until the server is restored.
6. Is there a way of knowing the author of the Xerte when using LTI? So I see an ID number but that doesn't give me the author name. In administration we have name not ID number for searching.
That's not correct you can search by project ID in management in the version you are using.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search