Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte desktop version & installation of server version on computer 2 years 10 months ago #7460

• sausman
  • sausman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

Is Xerte Desktop version still available? I have gone through the Xerte downloads section but have not found it there.

Alternatively, the downloads section advises that the XOT can be installed locally by first installing XAMPP first. I wanted to suggest this to an academic who wished to use Xerte and was wondering if there are any issues with regard to computer security a local installation may pose, that I need to be aware of? My institution has withdrawn support for XOT due to low usage so a server version is not an option.

Best regards,

Salman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte desktop version & installation of server version on computer 2 years 10 months ago #7461

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi
No I'm afraid not. Xerte desktop was deprecated many years ago and would not be compatible with current or more recent versions of XOT resources.
XAMPP would be a web server running locally and not available to anyone unless they also already had access to that machine/IP.
The other option for your colleague would be to sign up for a paid account on our shared Learning Apps installation.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: sausman

Xerte desktop version & installation of server version on computer 2 years 10 months ago #7462

• sausman
Hi Ron,

Many thanks for the swift response.

Yes indeed the locally installed version would not be available to everyone unless having access to machine IP. However, I was thinking of exporting content form Xerte and hosting it somewhere else. With such use case, I was wondering if there were any issues with using the local installation (e.g. risks to computer security) that I needed to be aware of before I suggest it to my colleague.

Thank you as well for making me aware of learningapps.

Best regards,

Salman

Xerte desktop version & installation of server version on computer 2 years 10 months ago #7463

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi
most of us on the Xerte development team all use XAMPP and local Xerte installations for development and personally I use the portable version of XAMPP which I start and stop when needed. So I'm not quite sure what security risks you are concerned about.

Re learningapps it learningapps.co.uk not any other domain (there are others sites also involved with education) and in fact we currently only have a holding page and contact form in place while we redesign the site. But our services are still available including the shared Xerte hosting and textwall etc.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: sausman

Xerte desktop version & installation of server version on computer 2 years 10 months ago #7464

• sausman
Thank you Ron.

I do not have much familiarity with server side tools such as XAMPP so the query was more in the spirit of any issues I needed to be aware of. I did not have any particular security or other issue in mind.

Thank again,

Salman

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search