Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to run an LO on a tablet in 'kiosk' mode? 9 years 1 month ago #2609

• olihaslam
  • olihaslam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

I'm making some LOs to help students use various bits of complex machinery in university laboratories (intended to make students more self-sufficient and reduce the need for lab technicians to keep repeating the same instructions whenever students get stuck).

The LOs will be available for use on tablet computers next to the bits of machinery themselves.

The tablet computers will be physically attached to the lab desks or machinery somehow (to avoid people taking them from the lab).

The tablets won't have reliable internet connections so I need to place the LO files on the tablets themselves - which I have managed to do okay on a Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet (but seems impossible on an iPad, unfortunately).

Does anyone on this forum have any suggestions or experience regarding restricting access on the tablet computers, so students can only view a single selected xerte LO on the tablet and nothing else (i.e. not change any device settings or use it to browse the web)?

Thanks
Oli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to run an LO on a tablet in 'kiosk' mode? 8 years 10 months ago #2741

• JohnSmith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Oli,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You would need to use an app to allow that, possibly something like appcrawlr.com/android/mobilock-kiosk-lockdown but I haven't tested this or any other lockdown apps so couldn't recommend this or any other...

If it can lock down the apps and a browser to a particular address then it 'should' work though...

Sorry I cannot be more help. We would be interested in hearing back though if you manage to get it to work well as i'm sure other would be very interested in this...

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search