Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attempting localhost install..0777 permission issu 8 years 9 months ago #2913

• develand
  • develand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
After installing the required Mac version ... I'm able to get to localhost/xerte in a browser window using chrome on my osx mac (10.10.3). However, when I walk through the setup.. i'm presented with the following page (which seems to be fine):

and then this screen, but I don't know how to go about changing the permissions or 'who' the 0777 user is: The set of error lines in the setup is:

The root folder for this install (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xerte) must be writable during setup.
Please fix by changing the permission to 0777 or changing the ownership to the user account that runs the webserver.

The setup folder for this install (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xerte/setup) must be writable during setup.
Please fix by changing the permission to 0777 or changing the ownership to the user account that runs the webserver.

The user files folder for this install (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xerte/USER-FILES) must be writable.

The error log folder for this install (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xerte/error_logs) must be writable.

The import folder for this install (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xerte/import) must be writable.
---- end of error mssg.

I'd really like to begin developing learning objects, but can't seem to get past this part.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attempting localhost install..0777 permission issu 8 years 9 months ago #2914

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi
Been a while since I did this on a Mac so exactly what you see might be slightly different but the solution will be something like the following:

Go to htdocs folder, right click, get info, click to unlock the padlock icon, type your password, under sharing permission change the priviledge for everyone to read & write, on the cog wheel button next to the + and - icons, click and select apply to all enclosed items, click to accept security request, close get info. Now xampp can write and read your root folder.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: develand

Attempting localhost install..0777 permission issu 8 years 9 months ago #2915

• develand
  • develand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ron, that did it.. just as you indicated. Thanks so much.. just knowing that 0777 was user 'everyone' was super helpful. The rest of the installation went just fine, now I've got a new localhost install and I'm exploring Xerte. Knowing that it's this simple should make it easy for me to get the rest of our IT staff on board with a good deployment and implementation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search