Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Quiz page 4 years 2 months ago #6299

• Beth
  • Beth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm a little confused by the Quiz. It seems that you can either show feedback for each question, and the user can change their answer until they get it correct, which makes the score at the end meaningless, or you can hide the feedback and get a score at the end, but the user can't see which questions they got right. Am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quiz page 4 years 2 months ago #6305

• drlara
  • Thank you received: 9
That is an interesting observation, Beth. You seem to be right about your description of the Quiz behaviour. My guess is that it's intended as a "Knowledge Check" activity, giving learners the opportunity to explore several options instead of as an actual assessment. A quick workaround is to disable the radio buttons once the "Submit" button is clicked. To do this, you just need to add a "Script" section from the "Optional Properties" column (last column in the editor) and copy/paste the following line of code there:
$("#checkBtn").on("click", function(){$("input[type=radio]").attr('disabled', true);});

Of course, anyone with a little JavaScript knowledge will be able to just enable them back again while taking the quiz! But if you have elementary or middle school students then this solution should be fine. I believe a better solution would be for Xerte to have a "Number of attempts" optional property.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth

Quiz page 4 years 2 months ago #6306

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Beth and drlara
If I was giving you feedback I would say you are both correct but also both incorrect! ;-)

e.g. yes in normal mode the quiz in Xerte is meant as an informal knowledge check yes it's true that learners can respond to each question until they get the positive feedback. You could leave the individual feedback empty but one of the positive things about Xerte is that you can put contextualised feedback for each question and each response in that question.

Where you're not quite correct is that there is an option for the whole LO which will change this behaviour. If you were to export your LO and quiz as SCORM and import into an LMS/VLE you will notice the quiz and some other interactions behaving differently and you can simulate that with an optional property at LO level. Select the first icon in the tree and add the optional Tracking property. Then tick the box to Force tracking mode behaviour. This will mimick the SCORM mode even when viewed via preview or via the public url. You'll then see that as you answer each question the radio buttons are disabled and you see the relevant feedback.

When exported as SCORM the tracking of first pass or tracking of last pass will also come into play however via the public url it will still be possible for the learner to navigate past the quiz and then back again and retry the whole quiz. But again that's because it's usually meant as knowledge check rather than formal assessment and even if we somehow prevented that the learner could simply refresh to try the quiz again too.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: drlara, Beth

Quiz page 4 years 2 months ago #6311

• Beth
  • Beth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the advice. It is an informal knowledge check, but it seemed strange to have a score when you could guarantee 100%! I've set the SCORM tracking and this has disabled the radio buttons. Presumably this doesn't do anything else unless it is somehow attached to a VLE.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search